Pages

Wednesday, April 18, 2012

this is not what I had planned

 long post ahead- sorry!

Tonight, I had planned on practicing some nail art and working on my water marbling, but ended up with these DIY full nail stickers. Way back in October 2011 I made a bunch of nail polish...... wait, what are we calling these? They aren't really nail stickers, maybe they should be called dry nail polish? I don't know.....


Ummmm - What Is This Called ?

 I think I have read that this is called 'dry polish'. So I will call it that unless that is incorrect....let me know!

There have been some awesome tutorials for this on the interwebs this week..... So far my only complaints is that Wet n Wild Polish's Wild Shine did not do well with this technique, and the plastic needs to be pinned or taped down. Mine curled up and ruined some of my designs, so I used dressmake pins to pin them to a cork board.

I don't have a hard time drawing cheetah print on my nails, (both hands and my toes)I did this for science. This sheet of dry polish was kept in a zip-lock bag for almost 6 months. There was a little bit of cracking due to me not cutting out a small piece to work with - it stuck on my still wet base polish just fine. 

.... Also I suck at water marbling and have finally come to terms with that. This was my 5th try and I can do longer put effort into it. Now I can re-direct my envy, jealousy and despair and try to do this;

.... one day


Here is a previous mani I did with dry polish.... I was calling it 'make your own nail stickers / decals', but that really doesnt fit.




finished?

here is the sheet of dry polish I made 6 months ago

I applied a thick coat of clear polish to a cut-up piece of plastic zip-lock bag

I applied blobs of a shimmery gold/peach polish, then used my LA Colors Black nail stripe polish to make the cheetah spots.

I made a pretty big piece.... I doubt that I will ever use all this up.......

just  a zip lock bag with other dry polish sets for the future

I thought that I could be stealthy and reach into this bag and grab one of these.... but my polish was still wet and the dry polish sheet adhered to my nail!

cut to size and placed on the nails. I smoothed this down further - GENTLY -  and then added top coat

Before Top Coat                                                      With Top Coat

I started with 2 coats of Nail Fetish Babe - From the Dollar Tree USA! ( we have The Dollar Tree in Canada Now - I haven't been there yet.... Anyone from Canada been to the Dollar Tree yet? Whats the nail polish and glitter situation like? 3 litre soda? Anyone?



Because there was some major bubbles on my middle nail, and there was some cracking on most of my nails , I added this pretty shimmery polish from Icing called Sparklin' Girl. It has beautiful purple iridescent micro-glitter in it

o



7 comments:

Paulina said...

Looks really good! but it seems like a lot of work.

brownsmoke said...

wow.. this is such a good idea... and soo easy .. thanks so much for explaining how to do this.. i loved the blue one... im so looking fwd to give it a try

i also suck at water marbles since they never work out well for all the nails..i hate when they mess up... one day i will master it and make cool design...

KawaiiKagura said...

I have yet to be brave enough to try a real water marble, so far I've done dry drag marbles. This is such an amazing idea, I will definitely be putting this on my things I absolutely have to try list! Thanks for all the pics, it really helps!

Unknown said...

Personally I call them transfers. You're transferring the polish from the plastic to your nail, so it works. :) The only marble technique I refer to as "dry" is where you put the polish right on your nail and then swirl it. There's no water involved, hence the "dry". If you do that type of marbling on plastic, I would call it "dry marble transfers", and if you use plastic to dip into water marbling (the only way I've ever successfully water marbled!) then that's a water marble transfer.

If it's made of nail polish and it starts out on plastic before moving to your nail - that's a transfer. IMHO, of course. ^_^

Daisy said...

its cute! fun technique

Unknown said...

Do you apply it to wet or dry nails?

Unknown said...

Do you apply this to wet or dry nails?